February 09, 2009

Elephant Safari in Silver -- An upcycled necklace (Neck011)


Some time back I'd come across a blue drawstring bag that had some random jewelry pieces. It doesn't appear I'd ever gone through the bag; I found it between my side table and bookshelf this morning while searching for a bobbin that had rolled off my table.

I dumped it out to take a look and came across this tarnished, sad looking elephant on a similarly tarnished chain. The rest of the bag I stuck away in appropriate inventory spots, but him ... well, he kinda called to me.

I cleaned him up with some silver polish; he's metal (obviously from the tarnish). I decided on black and silver beads intermixed with silver pieces of chain, and redesigned him into, what I hope, is an appealing piece. Altogether, it's 19" long. The elephant, the black beads and the chain links are upcycled pieces.

I've listed this Elephant Safari piece over in my Artfire shop.

No comments: