Round 1 : Last week I started this Fireplace Cover. The stitching on the quilt top took me a two days to complete. And, since the the backing board (which I'd kept behind the screen and was reusing) was a tight fit, had Beau cut an inch off the top. I attached the quilted cover to the cut MDF board, and then, with great anticipation hauled it to the living room to put it in place. And, uh oh .... it's too small. I put it in place and it just falls back out ... a gap almost an inch at the top. Quickly determined cutting an inch off was way too much; should have just been about 1/3". Damn
Round 2: Beau suggested we go about to The Box and buy a new sheet of MDF, but sometimes I'm just too cheap. So, we took it apart for me, and located the 1" strip he had removed. Using a bit of Gorilla Glue and Water Putty, I reattached the 1" strip and let it set up overnight. Then, I reattached the quilted to the patched MDF board, and then, with great anticipation hauled it to the living room to put in place. And, uh oh .... it's too big. Well, of course it is. What was I thinking. If it was tight before Beau cut the board, and I put the board back together at the same size, plus about about 1/3" of fabric ... well, of course it is too tight. Wouldn't even fit into the opening. Damn
Round 3: Beau took it back apart for me and while he borrowed a planer from a friend, I went to Ace for a new supply of upholstery tacks. Beau planed 1/3" off the top for me and I reattached the quilt top to the cut, patched and then planed MDF board, and then, with great anticipation, hauled it to the living room to put it in place. And, it fits perfectly. Thank Goodness.