July 16, 2010

Daisy Flower Pattern Becomes a Barbie Doll Hat; Tutorial

I keep a variety of the patterns I bring home for my personal interest or use. I was going through the box this afternoon when I came across this loose pattern piece ... (McCalls 3863).   I checked and I didn't have the actual pattern; just the one sheet. 

It says Daisy Trims, and I decided it was to make a Daisy shaped flower and thought, perhaps, I'd put an old vintage beaded earring in the center and make a brooch for my sister.   

So, I pulled out some felt and started on my own interpretation of how this would go together; and quite quickly, while putting in the 8 sets of darts, realized how wrong I was.    I went online and found the pattern in another shop; it's simply a decoration to go on a tablecloth and the marks were not darts, but cutouts.

Then, it hit me; with all those darts bringing the edges inward, it would make a great hat for Lilly's Barbie Doll.   So, I made three.   It's very simple; comes together in less than 10 minutes.   So, if you have a little girl in your life who loves to dress her Barbies ....
On mine, blue has wide darts, which makes the hat fit Barbie almost like a stocking hat, the black brown print has medium darts, making it fit her perfectly and the yellow is quite a floppy hat.    She looks great in all three!

Tutorial ...

  1. Cut a round circle from a piece of felt between 3" to 3 1/2" across.  (The bigger the circle, the floppier the hat). 
  2. Mark a circle about 1" to 1 1/2" in the center.  The will become the area that is the crown. 
  3. Mark and sew your darts.  (I simply used a ruler and marked off into 8 quadrants ... being precise is not necessary).   The smaller you sew the darts, the looser the hat will fit.   
  4. Put either a straight or decorative stitch around the edge to hold the darts down.  

Embellish any way you wish.   I used beads and buttons on the crown of two and just decorative stitching on the third. 

May I'll make her outfits to go with them.  I still have the Barbie pattern out.

1 comment:

jane p said...

If only I knew you 6 years ago when I was obsessed with making Barbie outfits for my girl's dolls!