February 13, 2011

Memoir Writing Class

When I was a young, I was going to be a writer when I grew up.  Well, that, along with an astronaut, a famous singer and a heavy equipment crane operator.    As you might guess, none of those dreams came about and instead, I proceeded through life as one of the ordinary.   Certainly nothing wrong with that.

Lately, I've been feeling the need to tell a couple of my stories.   These are basically the stories that I've not been able to say the words out loud, that some family members and friends are waiting to hear.  I've decided it might be best just to write them and get it over with.    But, as I already mentioned, that writing career never happened and I have no idea where to start.

Enter Cathie McFarland.   Cathie is one of the instructors giving classes for the St. Tammany Parish Library.   Her class is called Memoir Writing and it meets the 2nd Wednesday of each month.  Wednesday was our first class and it was light and almost fun.

The first assignment is a Food Theme.  Directly or indirectly.   Two pages.   So, over the next four weeks, you are probably going to hear stories about Food ... directly or indirectly, as I practice.

No comments: