April 17, 2010

Ms Leis reinvented as Muse of Bountiful Blessings

Prelude:  In preparation for another change to The Big A (which I'll discuss in another post), I stopped by K-Mart on the way home from yard sales and bought 5 cans of black spray paint and 2 cans of gray textured stone paint.   I thought I give the paint a try-out before tackling The Big A.

Ms Fleur-di-Leis :   Ms. Leis has spent much of her life being an after thought.  Back in those days when I was hand moulding concrete torso's, I decided to make one the full thickness.   And thus, this torso was created.    I didn't like her (at this thickness) much and so, she spent a couple a year or two hanging on the fence in a far corner of the yard.   Then, upon a long overdue whim, (Spring of '95 I think), I cleaned out the area and decided that I really must do something with the concrete torso (throwing her away just didn't feel like the right option), so I took her inside and painted her red with a black Fleur-di-Leis pattern.    Then, I took her back outside, to the opposite side of the yard and hung her back on the fence.    And, other than a month or so stint tucked away inside the shed for Hurricane Katrina, she's been on that fence.    I check her out frequently as a type of study -- durability of acrylic paint on concrete in full sun (versus a couple painted pieces I have in the shade).      She's pretty faded, making her a good candidate for a makeover.

So, I brought her down and cleaned her with a bleach solution and let her dry in the sun for a couple hours.   Then, sprayed her with a coat of black spray paint.   Dry for another hour and then sprayed with a coat of the Textured Stone Spray Paint.      Hummm .... boring; but, I suppose, better than she was looking.

Along her her new wardrobe, I moved her over to hang with the carved concrete dancers, a mirror experiment that's still holding up quite well and one of the concrete tub planters.   This area overlooks the tomato garden where she can be Beau's Muse of Bountiful Blessings.











No comments: